Song Review:: Changsub (BTOB): Lee Changsub Pre-Release 1991- vain hope

 

  • Release date: 2024 September 02
  • Album tracklist: vain hope, NEW WAVE, Golden Hour, Stay, #RUN
  • Album runtime: 17 minutes

I have been waiting for this album since April, but unfortunately, Changsub has been dealing with throat issues. So no album release for him then. And then no news about it, until, SURPRISE ALBUM DROP! Exactly as I'd expect from a member of BTOB. 

Normally, this would be when I start talking about the instrumentals, but Changsub's voice is so comforting that it would be a disservice. I am trying to separate the fact that I'm relying on it for the emotional support and what it would normally make me feel, I promise. But the first time I heard it was the fan cam he posted when he performed it at the mall before I needed my emotional support group, and I loved it then and thought it was melancholic and comforting, much as I still do now. Actually, the melody reminds me of a musical. I fully could imagine this being performed on stage as the "sad song" that has to be in every musical. Changsub's voice is just perfect for it, and it's perfect for vain hope. His voice is a comforting blanket that wraps around you when you're having a rough day. 

Like with the melody and Changsub's voice, the accompaniment is also musical-esque. No frills, no fuss. Just something to support his voice and get out of the way when it's necessary. Instead of being completely passive, however, the electric guitar that introduces the song pops back up near the end to grab the energy and drive it to allow Changsub to end the song softly. I'm not a super big fan of the way the energy just drops there, but it is what it is. 

With the lack of a music video, which I'm curious about, I can only offer the music itself.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Song Review:: Taemin (SHINee): Eternal- Sexy in the Air

Song Review:: fromis_9: Supersonic- Supersonic

Song Review:: Moonbyul (Mamamoo): Starlight of Twinkle : REPACKAGE- Is This Love?