Song Review:: Dragon Pony: POP UP- POP UP {Debut}

  • Release date: 2024 September 26
  • Album tracklist: POP UP, Morse Code, Ouroboros, Traffic Jam, Pity Punk
  • Album runtime: 17 minutes

 Okay. So this is a re-debut of a rock band which was formerly under the name "Saehamano". Possibly? I barely understand how kpop group debuts work, and bands baffle me. Still, they're all adults, and they get their name from the fact that they have three horses and a dragon in the band, which frankly is adorably sentimental. And they just debuted. So, here we go.

The opening electric riffs sent me to a happy place emotionally. It reminds me really strongly of an AC/DC or Eric Clapton or a Bachman-Turner Overdrive song. There's something that all of those groups have in common and yes, it reminds me of the soundtrack to A Knight's Tale, which is one of my favorite movies and there for a while, a candidate for my favorite movie before Jurassic Park came back on top and settled in. It hasn't moved. So the fact that this song opening immediately teleports me to one of my favorite movies with one of my favorite soundtracks is an excellent sign. There's a specific song that it reminds me of, but I cannot place it right now. If I remember, I'll come back and update this. The energy doesn't stop, slow down, or hit the pause button at any point through the song. Instead, once that accelerator gets depressed, it's all systems go. Except for a brief slowdown for everyone to catch their breath, and then we are not stopping for anything else.

Oh, this is going to bother me so badly. Can someone please help me out? There's an American rock song that sounds almost exactly like the "give it up, pop up" part. 

One of them belts like his life depends on it. It's not for a long time, just long enough for my eyebrows to raise. But it's still impressive with how loud they are. I hope they are taking care of their throats because I want them to have long and successful careers. I know exactly what playlists this is getting added to.

The hairstyles on these guys reminds me so much of Boys Over Flowers that it took me a bit to get over that fact and stop wanting to giggle. The music video is part video game, part home video, part slice of life. It's a comforting song wrapped up in aggressive guitars and drums. That's the best kind of song, and the music video reflects that very nicely.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Song Review:: Taemin (SHINee): Eternal- Sexy in the Air

Song Review:: fromis_9: Supersonic- Supersonic

Song Review:: Moonbyul (Mamamoo): Starlight of Twinkle : REPACKAGE- Is This Love?