Song Review:: Yerin (GFriend): Rewrite- Wavy

  • Release date: 2024 September 04
  • Album tracklist: Wavy, SHINE, Permeate, Save Me, One Thing (feat. Kim Dayeon of Kep1er), 4U

  • Album runtime: 18 minutes

Much like with Baekho and NU'EST, I'm not letting GFriend go. I have opinions, and theories, but I'm happy to wait to see if I'm correct, while distracting myself in the meantime. I don't know a lot about the GFriend members individually, and really only know the ones in VIVIZ by name, but I took like three days last year to just listen to GFriend's discography, and they were the first girl group whose music I got into. And then wanted to yell because of course I like them. I'm apparently specifically attracted to groups that are no longer together. But, it is what it is. Another song under three minutes. It's fine, because the album run time averages out to just barely over three minutes  piece. Also, I deeply love the fact that one of the tracks is called "Permeate" because that's a nice vocabulary word.

There's a disco vibe to the instrumentals. But if it's disco, it's floaty disco. I also think there's a xylophone popping in and out in places, or at least something like it. It's plinky and rare, only showing up in the quieter moments of the instrumentals. The chorus does a really good job of hyping, with a "happy, spinning in circles" energy to it, a mature girlishness to it. It also sounds like a summer song, one last hoorah to the season before fall settles in properly. 

I actually like her voice on its own. Yeah, it's a little high pitched, but you can tell it's not because she's trying to be cute about it. She could have gone the cute route, but she didn't, and I appreciate that. She also spends a respectable amount of time in a lower register. I'd be willing to listen to more of her voice specifically. 

Did I mention the disco vibe? That's the font. Plus the amount of that specific shade of orange everywhere. I super dig it, don't get me wrong. The dog is adorable, and I love how much the dog shows up. I'm not entirely sure what the magnifying glass over their hearts is supposed to mean, but it's cute, and a bigger signifier of the whimsy and magic of this store Yerin's character is running. Or maybe the magic of Yerin's character herself, and the shop is just a byproduct of that magic. In the grand scheme of things, I don't think the difference is too significant, but I also think it might be worth looking into for the analysis of it. It could be that the hearts are so Yerin's character knows precisely what the character wants, so maybe she runs some sort of a fix-it shop. Look at the cute storyline! I love it.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Song Review:: Taemin (SHINee): Eternal- Sexy in the Air

Song Review:: fromis_9: Supersonic- Supersonic

Song Review:: Moonbyul (Mamamoo): Starlight of Twinkle : REPACKAGE- Is This Love?