Song Review:: Jin (BTS): Super Tuna

  • Release date: 2024 October 11
  • Album tracklist: Super Tuna

  • Album runtime: 2 minutes

 When I got into Korea last year, I never would have thought I'd be sitting here a fan of what is, as far as I can tell, the Korean version of bluegrass or possibly "golden oldies" style. I absolutely love trot music. We can thank God of Light Music by Seventeen for serving as my introduction, but that also intersects with my love of strangeness and parodies. I have since discovered more that instantly go into regular listening playlists.

Super Tuna and God of Light Music go hand in hand, which means I'm basically required to love it. I don't like the very short run time that rounds up to two minutes at all. But given that this song was the product of Jin wanting to go fishing with Bumzu and this was the excuse given (please correct me if I'm wrong), I wouldn't have expected a song written on a boat during a fishing trip to actually be a proper length. But less than two minutes is still too short.

I also really, really love that the fans got the original version of this song to chart when Jin was discharged. That's funny.

The instrumentals do a really good job of mimicking a fish wriggling on a hook. The electric guitar makes it sound almost cool. The only good news about the length is that because the song is repetitive, it doesn't have time to get stale. It's kind of grungy with the synth during the verses, which is fun.

Trot apparently matches Jin's voice really well. He's got a brief growl that comes out to play once, maybe twice through the whole song, but that hint gives the vocals a depth to what would otherwise be just a goofy song.

What is this music video? It's incredibly weird, and I love it.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Song Review:: FIFTY FIFTY: LOVE TUNE- SOS

Song Review:: NCT Wish: Steady- Dunk Shot {Pre-Release}

September 2024 Wrap Up: We'll Meet Again, Don't Know Where, Don't Know When

Song Review:: Jennie (BLACKPINK): Mantra

Song Review:: Baekhyun (EXO): Hello, World- Pineapple Slice

Song Review:: Oh My Girl: Dreamy Resonance- Classified

Song Review:: RIIZE: RIIZING: Epilogue- Combo

Song Review:: Changsub (BTOB): Lee Changsub Pre-Release 1991- vain hope

Song Review:: Peniel: story of my L:ove- Daydream

Song Review:: Day6: Band Aid- Melt Down