Song Review:: Yves (LOONA): I Did- Viola

  • Release date: 2024 November 14
  • Album tracklist: Viola, Hashtag, Gone Girl, Tik Tok, DIM
  • Album runtime: 14 minutes

 I'm not sure if I knew that Yves had another album coming out, but I'm glad the roulette wheel had me do a LOONA song last week, as that helps make the group somewhat fresh in my mind and as well as for the lovely people who read it. It looks like she made her solo debut the end of May, and her songs tend toward being less than three minutes long, but, regardless, I hope she continues to do well with what she chooses to do.

For a song called "Viola", I was expecting to hear more of a viola presence. It's a little bit of a shame that we don't get to hear that instrument, as I have a special fondness for it. Instead, we get some fabulous funky guitar and synth that is dark and gritty and works surprisingly well for the song. The opening implied a different kind of song would be following, but the switch to the piano at the last fifteen seconds was a very good choice. 

I'm not overly fond of the repetition of the line "I just need some space," as it's the kind of thing that would be more effective as a punch line than the sole line for the entirety of the chorus, but any of the times she sings it would work perfectly for being that punchline. There's a really delicious dissonance between her voice and blunt claws of the instrumentals which is most effective during the chorus if I ignore what the lyrics actually are.

My brain registered this as modern art, and my attention tried to wander off. It's beautifully shot, and the red section is utterly incredible. And wow, the choreography is good. I'm just struggling to focus because modern art is the exact opposite of what makes sense to it.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Song Review:: Super Junior: Super Junior 25- Express Mode

Song Review:: KickFlip: Flip It, Kick It- Umm Great {Pre-Debut}

Song Review:: NEXZ: Beat-Boxer- I'm Him {Pre-Release}

Song Review:: ALL(H)OURS: SMOKE POINT- Graffiti {Pre-Release}

Greatest Hits:: Hyo (Girls' Generation): Sober

Song Review:: Ken (VIXX): PUZZLE- 신아브로 (Gradually)

Battle of the B-Sides: 9Muses: Miss Agent

Greatest Hits:: BIGBANG: Sober

Song Review:: VVS: AFTER HOURS- BOTTLE$

Song Review:: ILLIT: I'LL LIKE YOU- Cherish (My Love)