Song Review:: BOYNEXTDOOR: 19.99- Dangerous {Pre-Release}

 

  • Release date: 2024 September 09
  • Album tracklist: Dangerous, Gonna Be A Rock, SKIT, Nice Guy, 20, Call Me, Nice Guy (English Vers.)
  • Album runtime: 18 minutes

Am I reviewing this after the title track? Yes. So if you're reading this before the review for the title track of 19.99, well, that's fine. That's my fault.

This song is funky, and it belongs in a 1970s/1980s' police comedy movie, but it must also be a parody. It specifically belongs in the fight scene where things should be going terribly wrong, but they're failing so well, that they're actually succeeding in a ludicrous series of events. That feels incredibly specific, but that's what the instrumentals are saying. I really don't have more than that to say. I have a feeling that I'm going to be disappointed by the music video because I love the vibes of the song so much.

Vocally, they remind me of a group of teenagers who are swaggering around because they think they're top dog, but really they're just blustering punks who turn tail and run at the first sign of trouble. I don't know why I'm getting such strong imagery from this song, but really, I'm pretty cool with it. There is a little bit of the shouting thing, but it kind of works because of the swaggering punks thing. Also, every single time I hear the line "please don't tell my mom and daddy", I am required to snicker. I have no choice in the matter. Also, the "Let's all flex and chill" part. It's kind of adorable. 

This music video makes me feel old. Not that I did any of that stuff when I actually was a teenager. I was quite boring with my tennis and my video games and my writing. So there's a certain amount of indulgence that I'm feeling watching the Actual Teenagers be adorable rebels and make their parents worry even though that's what teenagers do, only for them to only go to a noraebang and have a picnic. It's very much a quintessential teenage experience. And the director of the music video did an excellent job with matching the swaggering, blustering punk energy of the vocals. I enjoy that. Also, I was not disappointed too much.

They're still hanging out with their concept of the "boy next door" and teenagehood, which means that they and TWS are conceptual group cousins independent of the fact that they're technically under the same company and less than a year apart in debut age. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Song Review:: Taemin (SHINee): Eternal- Sexy in the Air

Song Review:: fromis_9: Supersonic- Supersonic

Song Review:: Moonbyul (Mamamoo): Starlight of Twinkle : REPACKAGE- Is This Love?