Song Review:: BOYNEXTDOOR: 19.99- Nice Guy

  • Release date: 2024 September 09
  • Album tracklist: Dangerous, Gonna Be A Rock, SKIT, Nice Guy, 20, Call Me, Nice Guy (English Vers.)
  • Album runtime: 18 minutes

I really enjoyed watching them perform at KCon LA, more than I thought I would. They weren't the highlight of my attendance by any stretch of the word, but I do think they've got quite a bit of potential.

I love how funky and weird the instrumentals are. I'm a big fan of how there have been quite a few songs lately that have gone 70s in tone, and this song just adds to the number. It even has the horns, chimes, and organ that you so often hear from disco. The synth makes me giggle with its "wowow". It's my favorite part of the song. 

Their vocals seem a little nasally, but not too badly, but otherwise they're matching the instrumentals. There's a fun, little groove the members are strutting around with. It's really cute. I'm not sure they're at their first year yet, but there have been a few songs they've done that I've enjoyed. The song forces their voices a little high for my taste, but they do a great job with their falsettos. I do worry a little about what this will sound like live and if their vocals will be stable as they spend a lot of the song in their upper ranges. But this sounds like a fun song to watch performed, and probably is a fun one to perform.

I don't know what they're like outside of the music video, but oh, good heavens, they're dorks here, and I love it. I remember thinking the music video for Earth, Wind, and Fire was also odd, but again, I loved that too. This one is so Gen Z coded that I have to smile fondly at it. It's adorable. And they're dorks. And I love that. The woman/fan? The Minecraft characters? Crashing into a room with a sleeping baby and quietly tiptoeing away, then cutting to a party scene? The pile-of-puppying at the end? I like this all very much.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Song Review:: Taemin (SHINee): Eternal- Sexy in the Air

Song Review:: fromis_9: Supersonic- Supersonic

Song Review:: Moonbyul (Mamamoo): Starlight of Twinkle : REPACKAGE- Is This Love?