Song Review:: Fiestar: You're pitiful

 

  • Release date: 2024 August 31
  • Album tracklist: You're pitiful, You're pitiful - inst.
  • Album runtime: 8 minutes

Having never heard the original, I am interested to see what the difference is when I get around to listening to it. As for this one, it is a proper single according to my woefully uninformed standards. 

I've mentioned before. I'll likely mention it again. I really like Final Fantasy sounding background instrumentals. This one in particular reminds me generally of a water level, and specifically of the water level from Gagazet in FFX. So, am I happy that we have an instrumental version? Heck yes. I am absolutely adding the instrumental to a couple of my instrumental playlists. Might even use this when I DM. I like it that much.

Because of the nature of the background instrumentals, the vocals sound super chill. It just occurred to me that the last time I heard Fiestar singing was from Weekly Idol back in 2014 when they were on it with NU'EST. Even though their voices are higher, which isn't something I particularly like, there is a maturity to their voices that I can hear, so it doesn't bother me as much as it could. Cute? Yes. But mature, and it's something that I think they couldn't have achieved when this song originally came out in [double checks the date] 2015. I like it. And I'm curious to hear what the original song sounded like, because they are 100% in my "odds are really good that I'll like the group" time frame. 

They paid for this thing out of their own pockets????? What?

Well, okay. I have a soft spot a mile wide for groups that are so determined to do something that they pay for it themselves. The minimalism is a choice in this music video, but it is a good choice. This functions almost like a performance video. The production is incredibly clean. The camerawork highlights what it should, splitting pretty nicely between close-ups for individual details and wide shots for the group dancing. I wouldn't necessarily say that this is a fully synchronized group, but the fact that they aren't works for them and for this song because it doesn't look like it's necessarily supposed to. They did really well on this. Simple and clean and mesmerizing.


 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Song Review:: Taemin (SHINee): Eternal- Sexy in the Air

Song Review:: fromis_9: Supersonic- Supersonic

Song Review:: Moonbyul (Mamamoo): Starlight of Twinkle : REPACKAGE- Is This Love?