Song Review:: ZEROBASEONE: Cinema Paradise- GOOD SO BAD

 

  • Release date: 2024 August 26
  • Album tracklist: GOOD SO BAD, KILL THE ROMEO, The Sea - ZB1 Remake, Insomnia, Road Movie, Eternity, Yura Yura - Korean Version
  • Album runtime: 20 minutes

This song reminds me a lot of 80s. It's very classic, and I apologize for using the word "classic" here because I'm starting to be at the age where the Youths call the decade I was born in "classic". Well, actually it's the century I was born in that's considered classic now. So despite that reticence, I'm still calling GOOD SO BAD classic. 

The synth riffs and the disco instrumentals make the sound of the sound solidly 80s, early 80s specifically. It's not a fully groovy song, but the vibe is there, and it irresistibly makes me want to groove. So at this point, it doesn't matter that it isn't. I'm excited to see what the music video looks like, because I love the background instrumentals enough that I really want the music video to match. I just love the sound of the song so much. It's so good, and it stands out from what's recently come out, so that's super cool. 

No shouty choruses to be seen here. But I am in love with the use of their falsettos. That part, and also the slow, lazy rap, feels less 80s and more 90s, which is fine. We're just going for retro apparently. This song sounds like a 90s American boy band with the sound of 80s disco, and I have to admit that it's growing on me each time it restarts, because, reminder that I like to sit and listen to these on repeat for a bit just so I can get inundated with the sound. I wouldn't call myself a Zerose, but the fact that I know what the fandom name is means that I'm moving in that direction. And so far, I think this is my favorite title track that ZEROBASEONE has given us. 

I like the song more than I like the music video, which is a shame. However, there are quite a few things about it that I think if I understood the references better, I'd like it more. Because even without knowing what the references are to, I can tell when I'm looking at a reference. It's very movie set, which is nice. I wish it had been slightly stronger with the concept of movie set, strengthened the frame for the frame narrative more, given us a little bit more of a peek behind the curtain. But what we were given, it's enough that the concept is immediately recognizable. It's also a really cute song, with a really cute music video to match. Adorable. Even though one of my least favorite clichés (the sign with the "Will you go out with me?" message) showed up, it didn't overstay its welcome. So even that part was fine. 

Every time I think about ZEROBASEONE, I think about that one kid interview thing Ricky and Matthew did where the kid told Ricky he looked like they did emo music. And Ricky was like "Yeah, we kinda do." And then proceeded to dye his hair black. Makes me laugh every time I think about it, but this isn't emo music of even the loosest definition, so that kid is wrong now. It's just adorable.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Song Review:: Taemin (SHINee): Eternal- Sexy in the Air

Song Review:: fromis_9: Supersonic- Supersonic

Song Review:: Moonbyul (Mamamoo): Starlight of Twinkle : REPACKAGE- Is This Love?