Song Review:: DAY6: Fourever- HAPPY

 

  • Release date: 2024 March 18
  • Album tracklist: Welcome to the Show, HAPPY, The Power of Love, Get The Hell Out, Sad Ending, Let Me Love You, didn't know

  • Album runtime: 24 minutes

If it seems odd that I'm reviewing a song that came out in March, you would be correct. I wasn't intending to, but events being such as they are and my ridiculous ideas being what they are, here I am. This is also going to royally mess with my organization system for the moment, but that means I'm going to have to do a couple of March reviews to pad out the page this inevitably goes into.

I'm making more work for myself with the weekly wins on the music shows. Hence this seven-month-late review. So look for that.

Enough whining from me! Congrats on the win, DAY6! From the bottom of my heart, even though I'm sad you had to beat NU'EST's record, I'm glad you're did beat it, and now you've gotten a couple of wins on different songs in the last few weeks. The title is very fitting and makes me, pun completely intended, happy.

For being a rock song, it's surprising comfy. I mean, I've had it in one of my regular listening playlists since the album came out, and it came out at a time that I needed it, given what was going on (Minhyun's enlistment). I particularly like the section where it's just an electric guitar and the drums. It's a quieter moment that wraps around the listener like a hug in the middle of the aggressive bittersweet hope happening.

"So, please, please, please, tell me it's okay to be happy." It's telling that this song is in their first album since they all got out of the military. When you have to adjust to a new reality, in this case for them post-military, it feels scary to try to be happy, even if you want to be. And sometimes you need that reassurance. Rather than having a soft rock ballad, they absolutely went for it, and vocally, that means they rock out, and it's glorious. 

I KNEW I KNEW THIS SONG FROM SOMEWHERE. Other than just listening to it, because I also knew HAPPY. This was the song DK from Seventeen covered. Anyway, moving on.

The lyric video starts off at night and walking dejectedly, but then the figure begins to run as the sun comes up. It's a representation of the adage "night is darkest just before the dawn." The figure then trips, which is hilarious in the tragic sense. Just one more thing to try to break. But, by the end, even though bad things have happened and the figure has felt alone this entire time, in the end, the figure isn't alone. And it ends with the very comforting phrase: "It's okay to be happy."



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Song Review:: FIFTY FIFTY: LOVE TUNE- SOS

Song Review:: NCT Wish: Steady- Dunk Shot {Pre-Release}

September 2024 Wrap Up: We'll Meet Again, Don't Know Where, Don't Know When

Song Review:: Jennie (BLACKPINK): Mantra

Song Review:: Baekhyun (EXO): Hello, World- Pineapple Slice

Song Review:: Oh My Girl: Dreamy Resonance- Classified

Song Review:: RIIZE: RIIZING: Epilogue- Combo

Song Review:: Changsub (BTOB): Lee Changsub Pre-Release 1991- vain hope

Song Review:: Peniel: story of my L:ove- Daydream

Song Review:: Jin (BTS): Super Tuna