Song Review:: EPEX: My Girl {Pre-Release}

  • Release date: 2024 October 14/ ???
  • Album tracklist: My girl, ???
  • Album runtime: TBA minutes

 So we have apparently had not a lot of information on the album this comes out of other than it's coming, and it will be their second proper album. Which means I get a lot to do to update this review when we do get information. Oh, well. That's fine. Also, that's two full albums in a year, and I really hope that they both do well to encourage this kind of behavior, even if this song has to be rounded up to three minutes.

Wow. The irony of having the instrumentals having a very similar sequence of notes to LOVE, MONEY, FAME by Seventeen, which came out the exact same day, is kind of funny, but where the Seventeen song is Latin sounding, this one is a lot more EDM. And stylistically, the songs are nothing alike. But the first time I heard this one, I got deja vu and had to pause the song to hum and wrack my brain for why the instrumentals sounded familiar. It's also not something that is a constant thing. I just want to make that clear. There is only the one section fairly close to the beginning that is reminiscent of the other song. I also am a huge fan of the audience participation snapping toward the end. But, like with Seventeen's instrumentals, I'm not overly enthused by My Girl's either. 

Their voices are pretty. The rapping has a good rhythm to it. But I've had this song on repeat for the last twenty or so minutes, and I don't remember any of the melody. I couldn't even hum the chorus, which is alarming that it's that forgettable. It's pleasant in the moment, but there's nothing that catches my attention and holds it and makes me go "Ooh, yes. There we go." It's not bad. It's just... It's a "That's nice" kind of song, and then I'm left wanting to go wander for something that actually will hold my attention. I hope the title track for the album has something more strongly flavored.

The choreography for the song is pretty cool, and I like the prominence of it. It does mean that the music video has to sacrifice a little in terms of the storyline, but since I think they were going for more of a slice of life genre, it's okay. It's a cute music video, and they match that vibe pretty well. I wish I liked the song more. But they've got a decent discography and I apparently have a couple of them added to some of my playlists. So they do have songs that I like. It's just not this one. But! I do like the music video. Slice of life and adjacent genres give me the warm fuzzies and make me smile.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Song Review:: FIFTY FIFTY: LOVE TUNE- SOS

Song Review:: NCT Wish: Steady- Dunk Shot {Pre-Release}

September 2024 Wrap Up: We'll Meet Again, Don't Know Where, Don't Know When

Song Review:: Jennie (BLACKPINK): Mantra

Song Review:: Baekhyun (EXO): Hello, World- Pineapple Slice

Song Review:: Oh My Girl: Dreamy Resonance- Classified

Song Review:: RIIZE: RIIZING: Epilogue- Combo

Song Review:: Changsub (BTOB): Lee Changsub Pre-Release 1991- vain hope

Song Review:: Peniel: story of my L:ove- Daydream

Song Review:: Day6: Band Aid- Melt Down