Song Review:: Onew (SHINee): Flow- Beat Drum

  • Release date: 2024 September 03
  • Album tracklist: Beat Drum, Hola!, MAESTRO, Shape of My Heart, All Day, Focus
  • Album runtime: 16 minutes

September is apparently the month for SHINee releases. Taemin released the MV for Horizon, Key announced his next mini album to come out at the end of the month. Minho has another comeback planned, although I don't remember when exactly. And our illustrious, lovely leader has now released his first mini album under his new company, as well as his first mini album since his hiatus last year. Not gonna lie, I cried when he came back, which is silly because I didn't even really listen to SHINee yet.

I know the title of the song is Beat Drum, but I wish there was a stronger drum presence to the song as a whole. The backing instrumentals are oddly subdued for a song literally titled what it is. I have to assume it's by design to let Onew's voice shine more, otherwise it's a strange choice. I'm always a fan, though, of actual snapping in the backing instrumentals. I wished it showed up more, but I'm satisfied with what I got. A lot of wishing apparently. Oh, well. I don't think I mind it overly much because this song is so perfect for car dancing, and I'm definitely adding it to the road trip playlist.

There is a teeny bit of shouting, but who cares? Onew, vocal leader extraordinaire, is rapping. It is adorable, and I love it. I generally love Onew's voice because it's so lovely and textured. Inimitable. I've found a few other idols who have similar qualities to their voices, but there is only one Onew, and not only is he rapping, but I think he scats in his falsetto. Where has this much fun been? This is just fantastic. Elephant in the room is, of course, leaving SM and going to a new company like his maknae, Taemin, but if this is what Onew has been hiding the last sixteen years, I'm excited to have gotten into K-Pop in time to witness it. Flex it, bro.

Onew looks like he enjoyed the music video so much. The dancing is kind of adorable too, and he makes it look effortless. I'm sure it isn't, but it is trying to fool me into thinking I can do the chorus dance. It really just looks like so much fun. And not only is Onew rapping now, but he's playing the drums? What is this? So now I'm discovering that he can tap dance and play the drums? Wow. Nice. And I mean that, quite literally. I cannot wait to discover what other talents he has, or what other talents he's going to discover. I'm so excited for all of this.

ONEW IS BACK, BABY!!!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Song Review:: Taemin (SHINee): Eternal- Sexy in the Air

Song Review:: fromis_9: Supersonic- Supersonic

Song Review:: Moonbyul (Mamamoo): Starlight of Twinkle : REPACKAGE- Is This Love?