Song Review:: QWER: Algorithm's Blossom- My Name is Malgeum

 

  • Release date: 2024 September 23
  • Album tracklist: INTRO, Fake Idol, My Name is Malgeum, Let's Love, run! run! run!, Goodbye My Sadness, REBOUND, OUTRO
  • Album runtime: 22 minutes

Apparently Fake Idol was a pre-release and My Name is Malgeum is the main event. Good to know.

So part of me thinks the instrumentals sound like an anime theme song. And it would be for one that is kind of depressing, but has that super upbeat introduction to make you forget your heart is about to be ripped out of your chest. It also reminds me a lot, weirdly, of a game show. So that's a weird combination. I think it's the chord progression and the specific combination of piano and guitar that makes me think of anime theme song and game show. I'm fully into it. This is pretty awesome.

I don't necessarily know that I have a lot to say about their vocals. I really like the tone they've got, which seems to be "ready to belt at any given notice", which matches the anime theme the instrumentals have going on. I guess it's less that I don't have a lot to say about them, and more like I have no notes. I'm happy to bask in their voices like a contented cat without comment. This is a good thing as far as I'm concerned. 

This straight up could be a live-action anime theme song. It's apparently also a break-up song. But I just have to say that I really like the way it's framed. I don't necessarily know if I'd call it a true frame narrative, but the entire music video, minus the credits, is sandwiched between two incredibly similar shots. The music video feels like it's telling the story of trying to remain cheerful even though you have a broken heart and just want to cry. I'm laughing a little at the dissonance here, even though it somehow manages to work. I'm pretty sure this is going in a playlist. I just need to figure out which one.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Song Review:: Taemin (SHINee): Eternal- Sexy in the Air

Song Review:: fromis_9: Supersonic- Supersonic

Song Review:: Moonbyul (Mamamoo): Starlight of Twinkle : REPACKAGE- Is This Love?