Song Review:: Tzuyu (TWICE): abouTZU- Run Away {Debut}

  • Release date: 2024 September 06
  • Album tracklist: Run Away, Heartbreak in Heaven (feat. PENIEL of BTOB), Lazy Baby (feat. PH-1), Losing Sleep, One Love, Fly

  • Album runtime: 19 minutes

 I don't know a lot about TWICE. I know they're a JYP group. I get them mixed up with Itzy a lot. Mostly, when I think of them, I think of the Kelly Clarkson interview where Kelly took the time to find out how to pronounce Tzuyu's name. But I do have a couple of Twice's songs in my regular listening playlist. Also, just as a side note, love that Peniel showed up for one of her songs. Depending on when she was a trainee, they may have been trainees together when Peniel was at JYP. And I think that's cute.

Starting with only Tzuyu's voice and a piano reminds of Total Eclipse of the Heart by Bonnie Tyler. Actually, this song seems to get quite a bit of inspiration from that song, but as if Bonnie Tyler had recorded more of a dance version and added more synth. From the piano, Run Away transitions into a dance ballad with EDM elements, one that just makes me want to "eunch eunch eunch eunch eunch" with my hand up in the air. That word looks a lot like eunuch, but I'm intending for it to be an onomatopoeia of the EDM sound. The song doesn't spend the entire time driving that fiercely, shifting to a softer EDM reduced sound, that goes fully quiet only to blast into the chorus. 

I've been comparing Run Away to Total Eclipse of the Heart, and I think it's also worth it to note that Tzuyu even has some similarities with her voice to Bonnie Tyler. I think the key of Run Away is higher, but they both have a lovely husk to their voices, and Tzuyu spends some time down in the lower notes during the voices, which shows off her range to great effect. I'm excited to see her solo career progress and how much stronger her voice and skills will inevitably get, for a soloist, if she's starting here, as well as the benefit that will come to her group.

The music video isn't subtle about the predatory seductiveness of the song. I find it a little bit funny that both her and Baekhyun's albums, released on the same day, feature music videos that are vampire themed. And then xikers's was also horror themed. Don't get me wrong, I'm 1000% here for it, I just think its a little funny. Tzuyu also seems to be the maknae of the group, and if true that means she's following in the footsteps of Taemin and Jungkook in shedding the "I'm the cute youngest" for the sexy in an attempt to present herself as mature, two other maknaes who went into their solo careers saying "I'm more than the cute maknae." It's a good look for her. The confidence she exhibits will serve her well. The music video also falls in line well with the lyrics of the song, and the brief glimpses of dance we see also suit it. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Song Review:: Taemin (SHINee): Eternal- Sexy in the Air

Song Review:: fromis_9: Supersonic- Supersonic

Song Review:: Moonbyul (Mamamoo): Starlight of Twinkle : REPACKAGE- Is This Love?