Song Review:: Red Velvet: Velvet Summer- Surfin' Boy
- Release date: 2026 August 03
- Album tracklist: Surfin' Boy, Hot Girls Cold Vibe, Orchestra, Hula Hoop, Hawaii
- Album runtime: 15 minutes
Congrats on the win! I was trying to delay listening to this until I got around to the review, because I'm so behind, but now that it's finally time to post the Music Show Wins that this got a win on, I get to enjoy the summer album from the third gen summer queens. I love their velvet concepts because most of them are just spooky and I love that. But their red concepts are some of my favorite hype songs.
Call me crazy but this sounds like a minor key. Which fits then that this is a velvet summer per the album title. Well named. There's something odd about the instrumental that I've been trying to put my finger on for a couple of days now, which is why it's taken me so long, but I have to because it got a win. Not that I wouldn't anyway. It almost sounds like a preset on a midi keyboard, or at least like that's the base, which is fine, but this is also an SM Entertainment song. It's a perfectly lovely instrumental, but it's also oddly restrained in a way that I don't think works for the song. There are spots where it feels like the song wants to get a bit brassier, but it doesn't.
I love songs sung in minor keys. I don't like the whispering parts, but when they're unloading those vocals, they're incredible. Red Velvet is top tier. I do not make these rules. And there's a dolphin whistle going on in the ad-libs, so I hope whichever member has that part is taking care of her voice for it. Whatever gripes I have with the instrumental, they're mostly mitigated by the vocals here. I'll probably warm up to the song eventually.
They really do have the SM look, don't they? Also, they're not mermaids. Those are full Sirens and the mermen were never going to survive them. It's fun. It's nice. It's the kind of thing where we get Red Velvet doing what Red Velvet does best in their music videos: murder. Including a crossbow. But, of course, that also means that we've got a lovely storyline and I'm here for it.
Comments
Post a Comment