Song Review:: Key (SHINee): Pleasure Shop- Pleasure Shop

 

  • Release date: 2024 September 23
  • Album tracklist: Pleasure Shop, Overthink, Golden, I Know, Going Up, Novacaine
  • Album runtime: 18 minutes

Happy birthday even though this is a couple of days late! And not that I dislike all the capital letters, it just makes me feel like I'm shouting when I type them out unless they're an acronym, so the lack here? Thank you, Key.

Ah, thumping EDM. How I've missed you! When did I decide I like that sound? I have no idea. The song doesn't start off with energy. We get a few lines and bars of chill and soothing with only synth and the cymbal before the drums start in, which is echoed later during the bridge. I do wish there was more of a bass to really grind everything else into, but I'm pretty clear with my love for a good bass. Even without it, though, I really enjoy the vibes of the song. 

Key has a lovely voice. All of SHINee does, which is why the group itself is so impressive. But can we take a minute to talk about how catchy the post-chorus is? The amount of repetition should irritate me a little, but the break to just vocalize in the middle is enough for my brain to reset and make the second half a delight as much as the first. That's going to be an earworm very quickly, but one I'm okay with.

His costuming is always interesting. It's something I can always rely on with him, and Pleasure Shop is no different. I've also noticed that he seems to really be a fan of the knee length shorts and then knee high boots. The styling of the music video is similar to science fiction from the 70s and 80s. Or maybe the 60s, now that I'm thinking about Doctor Who. The only thing missing is an overabundance of chrome, but it feels just as weird, and I love that for him. It's kind of like if Inside Out took place in a science fiction movie in the 70s, and less emotions and more just straight up control. The lyrics are also weird, but very Key. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Song Review:: Taemin (SHINee): Eternal- Sexy in the Air

Song Review:: fromis_9: Supersonic- Supersonic

Song Review:: Moonbyul (Mamamoo): Starlight of Twinkle : REPACKAGE- Is This Love?