Song Review:: Stray Kids: THIS & THAT

  • Release date: 2026 August 07
  • Album tracklist: RUN IT, THIS & THAT, After You, FARMING, I Do, Way Out, Back Then, This & That - (Festival Version)
  • Album runtime: 25 minutes

 Look at all the capital letters. I know that you all can't see my handwriting because you're reading it on a screen and not in the notebook I first wrote this review in, but yikes. Ooh, maybe that's what I'll do as part of the year-end wrap-up: I'll take some pictures of these reviews and post them. I have no idea if anyone will care, but I like behind the scenes stuff so maybe someone else will too. Anyway, happy birthday, Changbin! You're the big 2-7, so enjoy your twenties while they last! It's interesting that THIS & THAT and RUN IT are tied for streams right now. Also, I'd like to point out the run time. That's right. This is the first album I've reviewed in a while where not only is the title track over three minutes long, but so is the average runtime of the entire album. Thank you, 3RACHA.

We have a return to the industrial clang that marks so many of their early title tracks that caused their songs to be labeled "noise music." I think there may also be an actual engine rev at the "vroom vroom" part, which I'm delighted to be hearing. I'm sure I'll warm to the song overall, because the beat is fascinating and it has a lot of interesting sound layers to it. It's just not what I'm feeling right now.

I had a pretty good run with really enjoying their title tracks for a bit. This one falls into the mumbled monotone that I'm pretty sure people are supposed to read as cool and effortless, but really does not for me, though Seungmin's and Lee Know's parts (even though Lee Know has another chorus, so go figure, it doesn't make sense to me either) there at the end are a breath of fresh air for the song that is desperately needed. However, the song as a whole, despite how aggressively catchy it is, is far too repetitive for me and my taste. That being said, I literally can't help myself from repeating the "This and that" part. But I'm also fairly certain that this won't be a "listen on repeat for hours on end" kind of song.

I was not at all distracted by Chan and Hyunjin's biceps. Or Changbin's open shirt. It's fine. There's obviously a storyline going on here, but I'm not up to speed on the Lore with these guys. But my storytelling senses are tingling. It's just not obvious enough that I can take a confident guess without knowing the lore.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Music Show Wins:: Week of 07/08 - 07/14

Battle of the B-Sides:: WJSN: Pantomime

Song Review:: NAZE: NAZE- People Talk {Debut}

Halloween Spookening: 2024 Edition

Song Review:: Bijou: Summer Night 2026

Song Review:: 8TURN: 8.X- Stagefright

Song Review:: Plave: Caligo Pt. 1- Dash

Battle of the B-Sides:: f(x): Shadow

Battle of the B-Sides:: Ailee: Love Recipe

Music Show Wins:: Week of 09/17 - 09/23