Song Review:: TWS: SODA SODA: SODA SODA {Japanese}

  • Release date: 2026 August 03
  • Album tracklist: SODA SODA; Palm Tree; If I'm S, Can You Be My N? - Japanese ver.
  • Album runtime: 8 minutes

 There are a few boy groups that debuted within the last couple of years that just scream summer to me, three of them being BOYNEXTDOOR, NCT Wish, and TWS, which is ironic given that two of them debuted in January. Japanese releases tend towards that bright sound anyway, so here's hoping the patterns are repeated.

I was not expecting the disco today. I'm not complaining because this is bright and summery, perfect for a festival or a fan meeting, or once their discography gets a bit bigger, perfect for their inevitable fun section of a concert. The instrumental has everything from brass instruments to chimes and a very funky little guitar. 

I love the "S-O-D-A" chant that pops up periodically. It's recognizable enough to make it a point of familiarity, but it's not so repetitive that it takes over the song. The song has hit that balance. On top of that, they've got some spots where we've got vibrato potential and a general softness to the whole thing. I'm picturing them on carts going around the stadium, waving, smiling, having the fans chant the S-O-D-A part back to them while they hold their mics out to the audience. Three minutes of bright loveliness. Very nice.

Why is this music video giving Welcome to Waikiki (absolutely hilarious show, 10/10 recommend)? I did mention that this was an incredibly summery song and the music video absolutely matches it. Between the beach and the heat and the cold soda and the mud, it's so specifically summer that I am just smiling watching this. Also, I really appreciate how their music videos always have a strong blue flavor to them. I'm not sure what shade of blue TWS is going to have for their official fan color, if any, but considering NU'EST and Seventeen, I'd go with this blue (Pantone 306-C) and this pink (Pantone 237-C).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Battle of the B-Sides:: WJSN: Pantomime

Halloween Spookening: 2024 Edition

Music Show Wins:: Week of 07/08 - 07/14

Song Review:: NAZE: NAZE- People Talk {Debut}

Song Review:: Bijou: Summer Night 2026

Battle of the B-Sides:: Teen Top: Tell me why

Battle of the B-Sides:: RAINZ- Music up

Song Review:: Plave: Caligo Pt. 1- Dash

Battle of the B-Sides:: f(x): Shadow

Battle of the B-Sides:: DIVA: Feel it