Song Review:: Jun. K (2PM): Paint This Love

 

  • Release date: 2024 August 26
  • Album tracklist: Paint This Love
  • Album runtime: 3 minutes

I'm a big fan of second gen vocalists, and I really like 2PM in general. Full disclosure, Jun. K is my favorite member of the group, which is why I'm making sure to review his song. And, as expected, after a quick look at the credits, I spy him as a lyrircist.

This is lovely and mellow. The background instrumentals feel pretty standard with drums and at least one kind of guitar. There are sections designed to be an audience participation section with clapping, and I like those. I like it when there are audio cues to tell me to clap and then when to stop. There's nothing more awkward than not stopping when everyone else around you does. It also sounds like there's a keyboard in there. 

I realized something listening to him this time around. His voice is like what you get if you took Onew's voice and Changsub's voice and mixed them together. It's like Onew's huskiness and Changsub's timbre got melded together into a new voice. Both of those artists are ones whose voices I absolutely love, so it makes sense that I love Jun. K best of the group. He doesn't flaunt the voice. He doesn't flare it. He could, but you can hear the control he has even when he's singing softly and gently. I wouldn't necessarily call it smooth, but I would call it very precise. There is no extraneous fluff there. 

If I had a nickel for every soloist-from-a-second-gen-group with a music video featuring a bicycle that was released in the last month or so, I'd have two nickels. Which isn't a lot, but it's weird that it's happened twice. And it could have happened more than that, and I wouldn't know either way. I could have more nickels. I kind of feel like this music video is a reunion for lovers. The masked people are an interesting choice, and then they're unmasked by the end, which implies that they're showing their true selves in "painting this love" and exposing their true feelings. There's every possibility that I'm wrong, because the storyline is not particularly strong. But it is present. And I really like the cinematography. The music video is kind of floaty.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Song Review:: Taemin (SHINee): Eternal- Sexy in the Air

Song Review:: fromis_9: Supersonic- Supersonic

Song Review:: Moonbyul (Mamamoo): Starlight of Twinkle : REPACKAGE- Is This Love?