Song Review:: MEOVV: MEOW {Debut}

 

  • Release date: 2024 September 06
  • Album tracklist: MEOW
  • Album runtime: 3 minutes

I'm always tentatively excited to see new groups debut. In this case, I'm not sure about the relationship between their company, TheBlackLabel, and YG. I know they're closely linked, but I'm not positive about what specifically is going on there. Oh, well. Hopefully MEOVV and BABYMONSTER get along. It would probably make life uncomfortable if they don't.

I like that they vibe like a boy group. They're still feminine, but they're not girly, which is a change of pace, welcome for me though there isn't anything wrong with the girlier groups. They actually remind me a lot of 2NE1, without the particular timely trappings that come with a 2009 debut. But it's like if 2NE1 had debuted this year instead of 2009, stylistically. To be more clear, the eyeliner is not nearly as thick with MEOVV, they include the shouting thing of fifth generation K-Pop, but otherwise there are some strong similarities. There's also similarities with NCT. For some reason, I'm reminded of Baggy Jeans and 2 Baddies. There's a level of confidence here.

Which might actually be warranted. Without hearing them live with my own two ears, I cannot make that judgement call, but there are two of the members that sound like they would have incredibly stunning voices. Not that the others sound like they're slouches and deadweights. It's just that there are two who really caught my attention. I'm not a fan of the shouting thing that we hear so often, and it's here, but at least the shouting thing isn't in the chorus. I don't think. The song is very catchy, but they have the weight of Teddy and TheBlackLabel behind them, so I'd expect catchy. I'm also disappointed that they debuted with only the one song, and a song under 3 minutes at that. I'd like more to see at debut so I can get a better vibe off them, but it's a tentative maybe from me right now. I'm liking what I'm hearing, except for the shouting, but I'm not in love yet. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Song Review:: Taemin (SHINee): Eternal- Sexy in the Air

Song Review:: fromis_9: Supersonic- Supersonic

Song Review:: Moonbyul (Mamamoo): Starlight of Twinkle : REPACKAGE- Is This Love?