Song Review:: Loosemble: TTYL- Cotton Candy

 

  • Release date: 2024 September 02
  • Album tracklist: Fanaticism, TTYL, Cotton Candy, Confessions, Hocus Pocus, Secret Diary
  • Album runtime: 18 minutes

I don't think that TTYL executed what they were attempting, but I am glad that they attempted something interesting. Cotton Candy is a lot more traditional in terms of the sound, but I really like some of the things going on here.

I prefer grinding, thumping bass, but the fact that Cotton Candy feels like a fluffy song in terms of the melody, that wouldn't make sense here. Instead, the instrumentals feel like jump-rope tricks. Quick, light skips that skate along the surface of the melody. There's a beat in there during the chorus that functions like a backbone to the song, but it feels a little too cool to be really effective. That being said, the section without any sort of bass and what sounds like a xylophone and...some sort of stringed instrument that kind of sounds like a low harp? Wow. I kind of love that.

The vocals through the song are deliciously slinky. I could definitely picture them wearing silk or satin gowns out of the 1930s while singing this. But the gowns can't be pristine. The image I've got for the vocals are like if costuming for Cell Block Tango from the musical Chicago was done in silk and satin dresses out of the 1930s. Unapologetic murderess. Black widows. Almost Harley Quinn, but really classy about it. 

The 1990s retro (again, this pains me) of the music video reminds me alarmingly of Poppy Playtime or Sinister. I don't know when this style was ruined for me and associated only with horror, but there we have it. It also doesn't disillusion me to the idea of them being black widows. Is it probably as alarming and sinister as I think it is? No. Looking at the lyrics, this is a cute song. But this is setting off my horror alarm bells in the best way. All of this to say, I'm a huge fan of the music video. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Song Review:: Taemin (SHINee): Eternal- Sexy in the Air

Song Review:: fromis_9: Supersonic- Supersonic

Song Review:: Moonbyul (Mamamoo): Starlight of Twinkle : REPACKAGE- Is This Love?