Song Review:: Super Junior D&E: INEVITABLE- Go High

  • Release date: 2024 September 25
  • Album tracklist: Go High, Break, Run Away, Only You, Eau De Perfume, Plausible Theory

  • Album runtime: 18 minutes

 Whatever else can be said about Super Junior, I really appreciate that they took NU'EST under their wing like SHINee took Seventeen. Which is funny to me because the numbers are reversed here. With the older groups, it was big numbers adopting small numbers, and with the younger groups, it's small numbers adopting big numbers. But, because of that, regardless of anything else, I think of Super Junior fondly. Plus, I will almost always support older groups having comebacks.

Was I expecting it to be all rap? Nope. Do I like rap yet? Not in general. But I can adjust to that.

This is going to be a weird music video. I can sense it in my bones just from the instrumentals. Whoever were the producers did an excellent job of making that sound like they're singing in an active construction zone, while simultaneously being on a space ship. It's a strange combination. Is this what's considered noise music? I don't necessarily know, from the instrumentals alone, that I'd listen to this song deliberately. There are very clear variations within the song, but it doesn't really soften at any point. 

At this point in time, I don't feel particularly qualified to comment too much on just full rap, especially when I'm not vibing to it. Their diction is really good; I can identify individual words for the most part even if I don't understand the words. They've got pretty good intonation, both in rhythm and in tone. But I couldn't tell you if they're good at rapping or not, and I'll fully admit that.

Well, I wasn't wrong about the music video. It's super weird, and I love that. It's giving off shades of Hui's Hmmm Bop, Co-Ed School's Bbiribom Bbaeribom, and SHINee's Married to the Music. I recognize that only one of those is a recent release, but you know what? Super Junior is older than any of the groups, and two of those three are from the same generation as them. But, the thing is that they're also pretty iconic songs. I'd even argue that Hmmm Bop, despite being from this year, could be an iconic song given some time. Go High follows a lot of the same odd trends as the old odd songs, while updating them for the modern audience. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Song Review:: Taemin (SHINee): Eternal- Sexy in the Air

Song Review:: fromis_9: Supersonic- Supersonic

Song Review:: Moonbyul (Mamamoo): Starlight of Twinkle : REPACKAGE- Is This Love?