Song Review:: YOUNG POSSE: Year1: We Still Loading

  • Release date: 2024 October 18
  • Album tracklist: We Still Loading (FEAT. Los, Rick Bridges, Northfacegawd, DJ SKY), MACARONI CHEESE (inst.), XXL (inst.), On My Scars (inst.), ATE THAT (inst.), We Still Loading (inst.)

  • Album runtime: 20 minutes

 I'm pretty sure this is a rookie group, or thereabouts, and I'm also fairly certain they're a girl group. So I'm just going to go check this out briefly. One moment. Okay, so that's not a good sign when the leader is only twenty, but maybe they're clumped up like with xikers, NU'EST, or Seventeen when they debuted (according to my personal rules, I couldn't have listened to NU'EST because the majority were minors, and Seventeen would have gotten by on a technicality because Dino didn't turn sixteen after they debuted and most of Seventeen were adults anyway at debut). It happens. Except, no. Huge fan of the maknae's birthday, but she turned fourteen after they debuted. Which means she was a whopping thirteen-years-old (13) at debut. 

Why is this okay?

Wait, this was released on their anniversary. And it's an album of instrumentals with a title track. And a GTA style album cover. That is unfortunately very cool. Why does the maknae have to be this young! This is so cool and sentimental!

Why are there so many people featured on this song? I'm glad it's as long as it is because those are a lot of people, but yeesh.

I have so many questions. But, okay, it's time for me to actually listen to this.

We're starting off with just a keyboard for the instrumentals, and we have gun cocking and shots fired sound effects. Afterwards, we start getting more of a standard hip hip sound. I'm not going to lie, the instrumentals sound a little bit like a hot mess, but I am only about thirty seconds in, so we'll see. There have been a couple of random beats of rest, that are jarring, but feel intentional. I'm not actually sure that that's a keyboard anymore. I think that might be an actual piano. There's a resonance to it with the lower notes that sound physical, not electronic. I'm sure there's a way to have the same or a similar affectation though, so I'm not sure. The piano definitely takes center stage in the instrumentals though. Very repetitious. We had a remix sound effect as well, which makes sense given that this is apparently a remix of their earlier title track, Loading. Which is cool.

While I appreciate the ties to other hip-hop artists because they're apparently known as the daughters of K-Pop hip-hop, or something like that, it takes a minute and a half for YOUNG POSSE, the group whose song this ostensibly is, to even show up. That's a third of the song. And then I think they're predominately relegated to only the chorus. They have nice voices and I really like the chorus, but if we compare the amount of time they're there vs the total amount of the song, the numbers declare that this is not a YOUNG POSSE song. 

There is not a music video for the song.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Song Review:: FIFTY FIFTY: LOVE TUNE- SOS

Song Review:: Jennie (BLACKPINK): Mantra

September 2024 Wrap Up: We'll Meet Again, Don't Know Where, Don't Know When

Song Review:: ITZY: GOLD- Gold

Song Review:: Baekhyun (EXO): Hello, World- Pineapple Slice

Song Review:: Peniel: story of my L:ove- Daydream

Song Review:: Seventeen: SPILL THE FEELS- LOVE, FAME, MONEY (Feat. DJ Khaled)

Song Review:: Jin (BTS): Super Tuna

Song Review:: Day6: Band Aid- Melt Down

Song Review:: Rose (BLACKPINK) x Bruno Mars: APT.