Song Review:: Lucy: FROM.- Villain

 

  • Release date: 2024 August 14
  • Album tracklist: Villain, Complex, Doggaebi Dance, Burn it, Falling Flower
  • Album runtime: 20 minutes

I was initially going to skip this review because at this point, it's kind of far back, but also, because I'm almost positive that another track from the album will be on my top listens of the month, it feels disingenuous to include that one in a monthly review without having reviewed the title track. So I've backed myself into a corner; though if the one I love this month is any indication, I'm going to absolutely adore this song.

OF COURSE I LOVE IT. THEY'RE A BAND. Actually, what's funny is the instrumentals remind me of an anime theme song. Some of the same chords and rhythms. I appreciate that. Not that they did it on purpose specifically for me. But, even ignoring that, it still sounds like a theme song. And I love theme songs. And there's an instrumental break, which I think all songs should have, even if the group isn't a dancing group. Let someone show off their skills. In this case, it's the guitar. Also, can I rave for a moment about the fact that they have a violinist? I'm pretty sure it's the country music lover in me coming to the forefront because of the fiddle you so often hear in that genre, but more songs need strings in the instrumentals. I really like the energy pause as well. George Lucas may not be able to write dialogue well, but he can direct, and it's been my philosophy since I watched Phantom Menace with commentary that manipulation of sound (and energy, by extension) can be one of the greatest tools in an artist's arsenal. In this case, there's a lot of driving energy. The drums are very energetic. And then you have the pause for a breather. Instead of just going full out as soon as the breather is done, they added sound back in, which is how you boil a frog. (Do not boil a live frog please; it's a metaphor). 

I love their voices. Their vibratos are absolutely lovely. And I think my favorite part is that they aren't afraid to flip into their falsettos when things are a touch too high for them. Well, that or the fact that they have sections of the chorus when whoever it is that's singing goes up and down the scale. Because that's generally one of my favorite things. We've got higher voices. We've got lower voices. It's the full range, and I'm so here for it that it's funny. These guys need more recognition. I don't know how much recognition they have, but whatever recognition they have, they need more. 

The music video is sweet. When you want to be the hero, but everything just goes wrong, but you still hope and try anyway. It's sweet. It did take me a little bit to figure out how what I was seeing matched the lyrics, but I did figure it out by the second verse. This song is a big hug, and I really like groups and bands like this. Like BTOB. They're also healers. And now I've found a band that apparently matches them in vibes. It's a simply music video with a simple message, and I love it.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Song Review:: Taemin (SHINee): Eternal- Sexy in the Air

Song Review:: fromis_9: Supersonic- Supersonic

Song Review:: Moonbyul (Mamamoo): Starlight of Twinkle : REPACKAGE- Is This Love?