Song Review:: Vahn (NINE.i) (feat. BLKZEN): Come&Go- Feeling

 

  • Release date: 2024 September 14
  • Album tracklist: Sweet! (feat. Lina Cooper and Joohyoung), Feeling (feat. BLKZEN), Seasons (feat. Alina Kay), Tonight, Sucker for You (feat. BLKZEN and laebin), Feeling (Inst.), Sweet! (Inst.)

  • Album runtime: 22 minutes

Now that is a proper runtime for an album, even if we eliminate the two instrumentals. So, while we wait for the group to resume activities, we get this. I managed to catch him when he was doing a live on Instagram a few weeks back, and he was showing off his vocals. I believe my response to was was "What the crap, my dude? Why haven't other people found you before?" And this simply proves my response correct. Him and Vari, man. Why do the ones with the interesting stage names have the best vocals?

Everyone, stop where you are! The guitar is loud and in front! In fact, the sound of the instrumentals reminds me more of Day6 and Onewe than it does K-Pop.  This is mellow rock at its best, and the section of brief acapella leading into the end is a great way to grab the listener. Silence can be as effective as sound. Knowing that Vahn is a producer for the group, and even did Feel Me for Golden Child, makes me all the more impressed with how well crafted the instrumentals are for the song. And we get the instrumentals on their own in the album. Flex it, Vahn. 

This isn't his first solo release, but it is his first solo album, which makes the choice for English lyrics through the whole thing all the more interesting. I'm not complaining. I also find it equally interesting that only one of the songs have only him as the singer, which brings to mind a security blanket of sorts. Which is fine. I absolutely don't blame him for it at all. You do what you have to do. It does make a solo event more difficult, but I suppose he can also pull a BSS and drag one of the other members in to perform it if he must. I think I would have rather he had his title track be an actual solo track, because he's got the vocal gumption for it, but again, I also don't blame him for it. I don't know why I keep thinking of One Directions when I try to figure out how to describe the tone of his voice, this is especially hilarious when you remember that I did not listen to them despite being the perfect age to be a One Directioner at their height. I do have to say it sounds like Vahn is trying to put some growl in his voice, but his voice is too smooth for that. Not a problem at all, and it's a little cute that he's doing that vocally, especially on what seems to be a love song. His voice puts to mind wearing the big headphones, the ones with the thick band over your head that fully encapsulate your ears, and sitting by a window seat and writing poetry. Which is interesting because I don't like poetry. But even though I do write prose, prose isn't what his voice makes me think of. It's specifically poetry. 

Wow, this is a lonely music video. He went the sad love song direction with it, which I kind of dig. So much of the imagery involves solo feelings (bookstore/library, driving alone in the car, at the bar with no one else around, etc.) and it's shot with predominantly close-ups. The few wider shots we get, drive the aloneness home more. The bathtub, running water is a good trope for sadness because you of the running water. Alone in a field. It all really gives off the "It doesn't matter that I could be with people. I'm still alone" vibes. Except for when we get the girl. I think the most poignant part is the  bridge starting at 2:29, because you have him saying he's a social butterfly without friends, and the instrumentals are soft, and he's alone in a field, and even the tall grasses aren't near him. Way to hit me in the feels, Vahn. Way to go.

Seriously. This is such a good song. It needs more attention. He did such a good job on it.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Song Review:: Taemin (SHINee): Eternal- Sexy in the Air

Song Review:: fromis_9: Supersonic- Supersonic

Song Review:: Moonbyul (Mamamoo): Starlight of Twinkle : REPACKAGE- Is This Love?