Song Review:: Baekhyun (EXO): Hello, World- Pineapple Slice

  • Release date: 2024 September 06
  • Album tracklist: Good Morning, Pineapple Slice, Rendez-Vous, Cold Heart, Woo, Truth Be Told

  • Album runtime: 19 minutes

I'm deeply impressed with the fact that Baekhyun is on his fourth mini album as a soloist despite having been part of an active group for the past twelve years. 2012 was such a good year for the K-Pop debut crop. There were a lot that beat the seven year curse and are still together, or recently got back together, and with EXO getting ready to fully reunite post-military enlistments within the next year, I imagine that will be a time of celebration for the fans. In the meantime, we have solo careers and partial group releases. The runtime on this album is a little worrisome.

I don't know what it is about the musical trend right now that sees so many songs, especially title tracks, with the 70s vibe, but my love for Scooby-Doo requires me to love the groovy sound. This one is kind of a grungy 70s with more synth that requires head bobbing. It's not something for full-blown banging or aggressive movements like that, but I do liken the instinctive movement to a chicken walking. I do the same thing to Another One Bites the Dust, so the fact that Baekhyun's song gives me the same reaction as Queen is probably a good sign. I'm also hearing some similarities to 80s ballads, which makes it an interesting combination. I really like the acapella at the beginning as well, although it sounds like there might be something metal scraping in the background, which wouldn't make it true acapella. But I think it's close enough that we can forgive it, especially since the metal is partially hidden under the vocal layering and it took me a few listens to catch it.

I would love to say that this is a seducing song, and I think it's supposed to be, but his vocals make it less seducing and more wooing. Which is a fascinating difference, but the texture of his vibrato is actually kind of delicious, but comforting, and even though I know he has had to work for the voice and the capability he has (as any artist must), he makes using it sound effortless and effervescent, taking the instrumentals and turning the entire thing into a more timeless sound. I've said it before and I will say it again: SM may be a problem, but they know voices and they train their idols well. But it also doesn't matter what kind of training he had. You can teach technique. But the raw quality and tone cannot be taught to the extent that Baekhyun exhibits. I can hear TVXQ in his sound, which makes sense considering that they're company mates, but specifically with TVXQ's song Down. Which is more seducing and less wooing, but they're cousin songs. Same vibes. Same vocal excellence.

Is this vampire Baekhyun? Is this normal? Is there lore I'm not aware of? Going in reverse and in media res to start off with is genius. Don't mind me, I just forgot I wasn't actually watching a movie. That's where the quality of this is. Again, the music video screams "seducing", which is one of the things that vampire is shorthand for in terms of tropes, but his voice says "wooing." Despite that, the music video is basically flawless. Plot! Concept! All the things! Oh, this is a good one. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Song Review:: Taemin (SHINee): Eternal- Sexy in the Air

Song Review:: fromis_9: Supersonic- Supersonic

Song Review:: Moonbyul (Mamamoo): Starlight of Twinkle : REPACKAGE- Is This Love?