Song Review:: Jay Park: The One You Wanted- Gimme a Minute (Feat. Chung Ha)

  • Release date: 2024 October 08
  • Album tracklist: Ohx3 (Feat. DUT2), Taxi Blurr (Feat. NATTY of Kiss of Life), Mayday (Feat. Ty Dolla $ign), Like I Do (Jay Park Remix), Gimme A Minute (Feat. CHUNG HA), Candy (Feat. Zion.T), GANADARA (Feat. IU), Dedicated 2 U, Need To Know, Sip Ona Lil Sum' (Feat. NINGNING of aespa), Why, 100 Days (Feat. YG, P-Lo), Foreign, Never Again, Love is Ugly (Feat. HWASA), Recall, Chapter, Yesterday, Your/My, Piece of Heaven (Feat. ISOL of MORE VISION)

  • Album runtime: 65 minutes

 This is such a long album. And, good news, that run time means that the average length of the songs is more than three minutes, so well done, Jay Park. Also, that is an impressive combination and list of collab artists. 

The R&B elements of this song surprised me. I'm not sure what I was expecting, but it wasn't this. But there are also some incredibly groovy disco elements to it. I picked up pretty quickly on the "1, 2, 2, 1, 1, 1" pattern of the synth. The energy of the piece stays pretty consistent, with the only real shifts being during Chung Ha's verse and another before the final chorus. The one before the final chorus is an incredibly welcome addition, though, as a break because these instrumentals are not pleasant enough for me to want to listen to the song on repeat for extended periods.

Isn't Jay Park a rapper? I could have sworn he was, but I could be wrong. Clearly I'm at least partially wrong because there isn't a rap to be heard in this song, though this could be an exception to his typical kind of discography. He's got exactly the kind of voice I'd expect from a second gen idol, though, which is a pleasant, expected surprise. The instrumentals are more distracting than helpful for the vocals though. But this is an all English track. I've been seeing a lot of them recently, which is interesting.

Okay, I'm a huge fan of the choreography on display, which is good because I'm not sure there's an actual story to it. Which is fine. I'm also fascinated by the range of costumes on display. Everything from casual streetwear to what I'm almost positive isn't bedazzled mesh, but definitely looks like it. And then Chung Ha at the end gets her own bedazzled mesh for their brief team-up dance off. 

I'm not enthused with the song. I thought I was going to be, but there are two outcomes to my repeat listening method. Either I decide I like it, or I decide I don't. It completely takes songs that could be on the fence off the fence on either side. Normally, I warm up to the songs. But sometimes, as is the case with this one, I don't and tip the other way. It's not the song's fault, and it's almost definitely not the artist's. It just means that if I listen to it, it has to be sparingly. Very rarely does it take a song I like and make it one I cannot stand, although that is the case with one song I can think of from my early teen years where I loved it, but the music video played so often (this was during my "only watching country music videos" phase) on the one channel I watched that I ended up hating it and still to this day, a decade and a half later, cannot listen to it without feeling rage in my soul.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Song Review:: FIFTY FIFTY: LOVE TUNE- SOS

Song Review:: NCT Wish: Steady- Dunk Shot {Pre-Release}

September 2024 Wrap Up: We'll Meet Again, Don't Know Where, Don't Know When

Song Review:: Jennie (BLACKPINK): Mantra

Song Review:: Baekhyun (EXO): Hello, World- Pineapple Slice

Song Review:: Oh My Girl: Dreamy Resonance- Classified

Song Review:: RIIZE: RIIZING: Epilogue- Combo

Song Review:: Changsub (BTOB): Lee Changsub Pre-Release 1991- vain hope

Song Review:: Peniel: story of my L:ove- Daydream

Song Review:: Day6: Band Aid- Melt Down