Song Review:: TRY THAT: Frequency {Pre-Debut}
- Release date: 2026 August 18
- Album tracklist: Frequency
- Album runtime: 3 minutes
Hello, everyone! You all know how I feel about the debuting groups! There's so much hope and potential going on with them that I just want to throw them at people and say "WOULD YOU LIKE ANOTHER GROUP?" with all the aggression that the caps-lock implies. In this instance, before I've heard this song, I'm fully on board with supporting them because the maknae turns twenty this year. So we are good to go. The actual debut date is unknown for them, but hopefully we can get them a little bit of traction before they debut. You can help me out with that right?
This instrumental has a very ZEROBASEONE vibe to it while also being oddly lo-fi elevator music. It's a bit of an interesting combination, but it's actually pretty mild through most of the instrumental, although we do have a late-song kick up of its heels where it pretends to be more energetic, but it's also got a drop right at the point of the climax in terms of energy. Luckily, I get to listen to this on repeat for a bit, so I can decide if I like the movement from the skittering beats that increases in intensity before that drop, which strips out most of the instruments but one.
Every time they say "frequency", my ears hear "freak-ancy" and my brain is trying to turn it into "vacancy." So I'm all kinds of confused if I'm not paying attention. But that's an amusement on my end. Since this is a pre-debut track and I don't think we have a debut date yet, I'm treating this a little bit more like a work-in-progress mentally. I like what I'm hearing so far with them. There are a couple of spots where I can hear the autotune, but I don't think it's a stylistically applied autotune, which could indicate to me that the member needed a little bit more help right there or that the audio engineer didn't hide it well or was a bit heavy-handed right there. I'm not hearing any particularly show-stopping voices that would be immediately identifiable for this group or any particularly big displays either, and there's practically no vibrato to speak of. However, this is still a pre-debut track with no debut date confirmed. Just because I'm not hearing what I want now doesn't mean we may not get it in the future.
We just get a performance video. The choreographer did an excellent job, and the camerawork is very dynamic. The dancing skills seem good. Now we just need the vocals challenged.
Comments
Post a Comment