Song Review:: Jennie (BLACKPINK): Fallen Angel- Less than a Lover {Pre-Release}
- Release date: 2026 August 28
- Album tracklist: FALLEN ANGEL, HEAVEN, Less than a Lover
- Album runtime: 9 minutes
Congrats on the wins! I forgot I needed to do this one! I think this is a pre-release, which is why I'm labelling it like I am.
One of my big complaints about a lot of songs lately is that the instrumental isn't particularly distinct, because so many of them, including this one, are largely two or three beats layered together through most of the song with very little variation. This one at least has the benefit of water plunks and plops, and I cannot express how briefly excited I was about twenty seconds from the end, but it just wasn't enough to overcompensate for the repetition. Now, I'll be the first to admit that R&B doesn't really do it for me normally because a lot of the modern R&B does an excellent job of having the kind of sound that lulls me a bit too much into drowsiness. This song is no different. Between the slow beat and the amount of repetition, I kind of want to go to sleep because there's not much for my brain to ltch onto in terms of roughness and variation. In other words, the instrumental is very pretty and very smooth. But not my cup of tea.
I don't see the point in having a song this short. Jennie has a gorgeous voice, don't get me wrong, but there's not enough for her to do much beyond the chorus a few times and that is a criminal waste of her voice. Again, very pretty. But like, why?
The music video is of an acceptable length. But there's over a full minute of "not song" to it. But I adore the amount of achingly sad storyline going on here. Imagine what it could have been with a song of an appropriate length.
Comments
Post a Comment